I’ve been working since I left high school and never stayed more than 4 years in a job … until I began to write for children. Although, apparently as a child, I wrote plays for my sisters and cousins to act in … I was the director, and usually played the villain, the most interesting roles, of course.
Art also has been a huge part of my life … 9 years part-time at the Brisbane Institute of Art saved my creative soul … and led to sales at art shows and exhibitions. But then writing came along!
The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) is the global pond where this wee froggie hangs out; a place where I’ve made great friendships too.
I write novels for 10-13 year olds, the Golden Age of Reading.
Chapter books for 7-9 year olds.
Short stories and Plays published in The School Magazine.
Flash Fiction for children and adults.
- SCBWI International Regional Advisors Marketing Grant – 2017
- SCBWI International Work-of-Outstanding-Progress Award – 2013 for Sweet Adversity
- May Gibbs Children’s Literature Trust Residential Fellowship – May 2015
- May Gibbs Children’s Literature Trust Residential Fellowship – August 2008
- Australian Society of Authors Mentorship – 2009/10
- Australian Society of Authors Mentorship – 2002/03
- Arts Queensland Individual Professional Development Grant – Masterclass residency. Varuna House 2006